Would you like to become an architect and are you considering a Master in Architecture at the Amsterdam Academy of Architecture? In that case, bring your technical and structural knowledge to the right level first! Follow our compact and inspiring Building Technique course, in which architecture and the architectural practice form the basis. You can register if you have a Bachelor’s degree in architectural design or interior architecture.
Why this course?
• You will be introduced to general architecture based on short thematic presentations about specific architectural topics. We link a drawing exercise to each topic.
• You will increase your insight into the relationship between the design and the load-bearing structure of buildings.
• You will increase your knowledge of building physics, so that you know how to improve the living and working climate of buildings.
• You will learn to substantiate your own designs technically and practically in various materials with details that are based on architectural principles.
• You will learn to understand external and internal forces within the interplay between structure and structural members and to visualise these.
• You will take on practical challenges: you will conclude the course with a design exercise in which you will design integrally with technical knowledge and skill.
• You will be inspired by excursions and fascinating lectures from professionals from the practice about their field of specialisation or about their fascination for an element of architecture.
And: when you have successfully completed the Building Technique course, you will be very well prepared for the Master in Architecture at the Academy of Architecture. You will have more chance of being directly admitted to the Master’s programme.
Practical teaching method
At the Academy of Architecture in Amsterdam, we believe in ‘learning from experiences’ and ‘applying theory in practice’. Our way of teaching is adapted to this. The combination of studying and concrete practise is an essential part of the course.
Register for this course via the registration form. The deadline for application for the course in the first semester of 2019-2020 is 1 May 2019. NON-EER/EU students can only participate in the course in the second semester, due to visa regulations.
During the course, you will work on the following learning objectives:
1. Increasing your general architectural basic knowledge, as a result of which more insight into how buildings are made will arise: from building systems in various materials down to the detail.
2. Knowledge and insight into mechanics and structure; skills in understanding external and internal forces within the interplay between structure and structural members.
3. Increasing your (building) physics knowledge of buildings in relation to the design process.
4. Independently learning to make detailed architectural drawings of various parts of building.
5. Various skills in terms of presentation techniques with which you will communicate your design.
Which prior education do you need for the Building Technique course? You can register if you satisfy the following conditions:
• You have a Bachelor’s degree in architectural design or interior architecture.
• You have a command of mathematics B (wiskunde B), physics and English at least at senior general secondary education (Dutch HAVO) level.
The language of instruction of the course is both Dutch and English.
In order to be admitted to the Building Technique course, you must send us your CV, your motivation letter and your portfolio. Based on this, we will assess whether you are suited to the course.
In your motivation letter, you will clearly indicate why you want to follow the Building Technique course.
Your portfolio is a succinctly designed document, in which you show which design and drawing experience you have gained up until now.
We offer the Building technique course two times per year:
• In the first semester: from September up to and including January;
• In the second semester: from February up to and including June;
Deadline for registration
• You must register no later than 1 May 2019 for the first semester in 2019-2020.
• You must register no later than 1 December 2019 for the second semester in 2019-2020.
NON-EER/EU students can only participate in the course in the second semester from February to June, due to visa regulations. You can register via our online registration form.
The tuition fees for the course are € 950. This amount is excluding costs for study material, excursions, literature and lunches during the workshops.
What will your timetable look like?
The Building Technique course has three fixed times for lessons per week:
• Tuesday from 19:30-22:30
• Wednesday from 19:30-22:30
• Friday from 09:30-12:30 and from 13:30-16:30
In addition, we also occasionally organise activities during the day on Tuesday and on Wednesday.
Which subjects and programme components will you do?
During the Building Technique course, you will do the following courses and programme components:
During the Tools 0 course, you will gain architectural basic knowledge based on theory lessons linked to architectural drawing exercises. On the basis of architectural examples, we will deal with themes like building systems, detail, material and drawing technique. You will complete the exercises during the lesson as much as possible.
Structure and Mechanics
The Structure and Mechanics course is given by two lecturers and consists of nine lessons. It is an introductory course in which the focus is on gaining knowledge and insight into the field of mechanics. During the lessons, you will be given teaching materials during lectures, and you will do exercises and self-study.
The Building Physics course provides you with insight into building-related (building) physics aspects in relation to the design process. You will develop basic knowledge about the thermal, hygric and acoustic properties of a building, and about natural lighting, energy consumption, electrical and mechanical engineering, and sustainability.
During the Building Technique course, you will be given a small-scale design assignment based on criteria determined in advance. The result: a fully-fledged, clear and focused architectural design that you will present on the basis of drawings, visual material and scale models. In this way, you will learn to translate an idea into an architectural design, you will develop a feel for scale, proportions and use of space, and you will learn skills to communicate your design.
During the excursion, you will visit a number of unique buildings. We will also visit a building site, so that you can see how buildings are made in practice.
The architect and the building
During a series of excursions, we will visit architectural firms where a project will be explained on the basis of drawings, scale models and stories. We will subsequently visit the project together with the architect.
When will you receive a pass for the course?
You will end the course with a pass when you have passed all examinations, both on the theory and design components.
In addition, if you receive a positive recommendation from lecturers, you will have a more chance of being directly admitted to the Master in Architecture at the Academy of Architecture.
Have you successfully completed the Building Technique course and received a positive recommendation from the lecturers? In that case, you will have more chance of being directly admitted to the Master in Architecture at the Academy of Architecture.
Our Master’s programme will train you to become a skilful and authentic spatial designer. You will learn to clearly (re)formulate design assignments and form powerful conceptual ideas. You will know how to translate these into concrete spatial design proposals. In addition, you will learn how to present a plan in an attractive way and how you should enter into debate about your design considerations.
Please note: if you pass the Building Technique course, this does not mean that you will automatically be admitted to the Master in Architecture. As is the case with other Bachelor’s students, we will assess your definitive admission on the basis if your portfolio and motivation letter.
Are you doubting whether you meet the admission requirements? Have you got questions about the registration? Do you have any other questions?
Feel free to send an email with your question to the study secretariat of the Academy of Architecture: